10 Pro Tips to Fight Writer’s Block and Unleash Your True Potential
Writer’s block is a mental condition when the authors are unable to create new work and deliver according to their expectation. This may be due to anxiety, anger, apathy or fear of being compared to others. Whatever be the reason behind the writer’s block, there are several ways to recover from it. Following are 10 pro tips that can help you cure writer’s block.
- Break the regular routine: A change in scene or participating in a different activity or even going to a relaxing short trip will help you relax and offset the anxiety and frustration of the writer’s block. If you stop worrying about your writing for sometimes, you will feel refreshed and will find it easier to focus on your work later.
- Read and gather information: Sometimes our imagination and ideas face a stagnancy. In such cases, gathering various information through reading books and searching the internet can help you gather new ideas. For instance, if you intend to write a story, knowing the geography and cultural attributes of a place, can help to create a perfect background.
- 25 minutes time blocks: When you are not able to focus on your work, the Pomodoro technique advices to create small goals to focus for 25 minutes of time. During this time, stay focused on your work and write as much as you can. You can always review the work done for improvement, but staying focused for short time period will help you recover from writer’s block. This strategy is particularly helpful if you are a research paper writer.
- Declutter your work place: You need to have a fixed place to ensure you stay focused on your work. Make sure that your surrounding is clean and peaceful. If you have to stay focused and calm, your environment should reflect the same. Our ambience plays a significant role on our mood, so you may use candles, maintain a comfortable temperature and ensure it is quiet.
- Create a goal and stick to a habit: Many famous writers such as John Grisham and George Bernard Shaw created plans to write a certain number of pages every day. This habit demands consistency which is extremely important to achieve any goals. You should create well defined plans to achieve your targets.
- Read your instructions: If you are an essay writer, you need to read your instructions thoroughly several times. This will improve your understanding of the topics and you will identify the keywords you need to research on. This will also ensure that you do not miss on any important instruction which can impact your performance.
- Remove all the distractions: Sometimes distractions like mobile phones, video games, or television can make it difficult to focus on your work. You need to ensure these entertaining devices are not present at the place of your work. Just ensuring that your mobile phone is placed across the room, will help you focus on work.
- Free writing: If you are too concerned about the rules and restrictions of writing, then write your first draft in the free flow of your imagination. Once the first draft is created you can always review your work and incorporate changes according to the rules. This will ensure that your imaginations and thought process is disrupted by the rules you need to follow.
- Observe your surrounding: If you are a story or novel writer then this tip is important for you. If you observe critically, you will find ample stories among the people, their opinions, their relationships, habits and natural environment. All these are excellent source of inspiration for stories. In fact, many of the famous stories are based on true characters, though authors have made their contributions. For instance, the character, James Bond is based on the author Ian Fleming’s step cousin Christopher Lee. The famous Sherlock Holmes was based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s professor, Dr. Joseph Bell.
- Meditate: A calm mind is a brilliant asset you need to achieve anything in life. Meditation can help you achieve a calmness that can help you stay focused when you write my paper. This is also an effective way to reduce anxiety, restlessness and mood swings that often creates writer’s block.
A calm and focused mind is necessary in order to perform well as a writer. As such, before you sit down to write, you may use the above tips to prepare your mind and surroundings to deliver your best performance.